GAP shortlisted for Green Family Business award
The Herald Scottish Family Business Awards 2018 in association with Business Gateway, has named GAP Hire Solutions on its shortlist for Green Family Business of the Year.
The Green Family Business of the Year category looks to recognise family businesses who have demonstrated an innovative approach and made it their goal to reduce their environmental impact on the world.
At GAP, we have taken various steps to reduce our waste, recycle, reuse more materials, increase our use of renewable energy and decrease our fuel emissions. We set and agree on annual targets to save energy and to reduce our carbon footprint. There are numerous examples of how we are making a difference, which include:
• 78% of power requirements are from renewable sources
• 98% of all oils used are recycled
• 70% water saving achieved by rainwater harvesting tanks
• 62,000 less paper invoices sent each month
• Forty 245W solar panels at Head Office have produced 30,000 kWh in under four years
• Reduction in fuel emissions – as part of our FORS Silver accreditation we actively monitor, measure and report on fuel consumption, mpg and carbon emissions which have shown a significant improvement in the past few years
More information on our achievements to date and objectives can be found in our Green Action Plan.
GAP’s Joint Managing Director Iain Anderson commented: “Almost two thirds of businesses in Scotland are family enterprises so it’s fantastic to be recognised as one of the leading ‘green’ organisations.
“We seek to set an example to those in our supply chain, encouraging greener attitudes. GAP proactively works with its suppliers to develop greener products, advise our customers on best practice and implement environmentally friendly processes.”
GAP Hire Solutions is the UK's largest independent plant, tools and equipment rental company. Established in 1969, the family-owned and run business operates from 140 depots and employs over 1,800 people nationwide.
GAP will celebrate 50 years of successful trading at the end of April 2019, and has come a long way since Gordon Anderson opened its first depot in Linwood, next to Glasgow Airport, in 1969. The third generation of the family is heavily involved as the Glasgow-based group looks to break the £200m-turnover mark next year.
The winners of the 7th annual Herald Family Business Awards will be announced on Wednesday 5th December 2018 at the Radisson Blu Hotel, Glasgow.